Eligibility & Referrals
We will consider referrals from healthcare professionals for patients who:
- Are living with cancer or other life threatening illness.
- Need palliative or end-of-life care.
- Have emotional or spiritual concerns, stress or stress-related symptoms regarding the illness and its effect on quality of life.
- Are coping with the side effects of treatment e.g. chemotherapy/radiotherapy.
- Need complementary symptom management e.g. pain, nausea, breathlessness, constipation, diarrhoea, tiredness, sleeplessness, poor appetite.
- Have issues with body image due to treatment.
We will also consider referrals for a patientís carer who is coping with the demands of the caring role, and/or loved ones/family members facing the prospect of bereavement.
Our referrals come from healthcare professionals such as:
- Macmillan nurses,
- District nurses,
- Community nurses,
- Mental health pracitioners,
To refer patients or family members and carers for our services, please download and complete our Referral Form and, where relevant, the Home Visit Needs/Risk Assessment Form. Paper copies of these forms are also available on request. Referrals should be sent electronically to our secure email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
On receipt of a complete referral form we will do the following:
- Confirm receipt to the referrer using the email address provided.
- Aim to contact the person being referred within five days, provide them with information on our services and a first appointment within three weeks (subject to their availability and ours).
- Individuals being referred for complementary therapies will be offered an initial block of six treatments, family/carers will be offered an initial block of three treatments. The number of counselling sessions provided will be determined on a case by case basis.
Service User Charter
Our policy is to support and protect the fundamental human, civil and legal rights of patients and their families. There is equal access to our services regardless of the patient/family memberís age, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, faith, social class, disability or other special needs. In recognition of personal dignity and autonomy, we will provide privacy, consideration and respect in the treatment of patients and their carers.
You are entitled to:
- Be able to access our services within the guidelines of the referral criteria
- Be treated with consideration, respect and full recognition of your individuality and the need for privacy and dignity
- Receive an explanation by an appropriate member of the Therapy Team about any service that is being proposed, so that you can give informed consent
- Be told the benefits and effects you may have from any service you receive
- Refuse any service if you so wish
- Be given the opportunity to participate in the planning of your therapy sessions
- Be assured that, in accordance with GDPR and NHS requirements, records made regarding you and your family will be maintained in strict confidence, within the constraints of the multi-professional team care plan (please see our Fair Processing Notice on our website for more information). This includes the need to share information with others involved in your care, such as your GP and District Nurse. Your consent will be sought in the case of sensitive information.
- Contact the Services Manager if you wish to have access to your therapy records
- Be assured that Practitioners who care for you are qualified through education, training and experience to deliver the services for which they are responsible
- Be informed of all the services provided by Sara Lee Trust
- Express your feelings and emotions in your own way
- Have your beliefs respected
On your part, we ask that you:
- Treat all our Team Members with courtesy and respect
- Give notice wherever possible if you need to cancel an appointment
- Do not smoke while the Practitioner is with you in your home
- Secure your pets while the Practitioner is in your home
- Tell us if you cannot understand an explanation, and ask questions for clarification
- Tell us if you have any suggestions that might help us improve our service